Thursday, January 5, 2017

Chapter 3: The Art of Photojournalism

Photo by Alexander Gardner
Year Created: 1865



Texture

The texture in the photo is hard and wet. The texture of this image is very evident. Since this image was taking during the times of the civil war I believe the hard texture represents the hard life these poor children and women were living at the time.


Subjects Expression

All of the subject’s expressions in this photo seem to be very serious and somewhat sad. No one is blinking and I believe they knew the photo was being taken. The postures of each subject definitely fits their serious/saddened expressions on their face. They all seem pretty down, most likely because this was during the Civil War.


Is this image black & white or color?

The image is in black and white. Due to the era in which this phot was taken the photographer did not have a choice, whether he wanted black and white or color. the black and white fits this photo very well because of the serious nature of this photo and the time in which it was taken.


Why I chose this image?


I chose this photo because out of all the images I searched the raw emotion of this photo during the time period really touched me. Living during the era of the Civil War was no easy thing and I believe the emotion and quality of this photo truly shows and emphasizes this. There is also not one man in this photo, which I believe shows how strong these women had to be for their children, and I truly admire a strong woman.



Photo by Dorothea Lange
Year Created: 1936

Keep it simple
                This picture is simple. What some people fail to realize is that sometimes less is more. The simplicity of this photo allows the message to be clear. This photo was taking of a mother and her three children during the Great Depression. It is clear to tell that the mother is sad and her poor children appear to be just as sad.

Obvious main subject, about 1/3 to 2/3 of image area
                The main subject takes up pretty much the entire image. I believe of the impact of the main subject being so big makes this image that much more powerful and gives people such a strong emotion to feel for this mother and her children. If there was more going around in the background I don’t believe the image would have been so strong and had such a powerful impact.

What feelings does the image create?
                I feel sad. I feel sad to see this poor mother and her children suffering because of the Great Depression. Being a mother myself I couldn’t imagine going through a period like this alone, let alone having to have my poor innocent child go through it with me.

Why I chose this image?
                I chose this photo because as we know living during the Great Depression was very difficult and I believe this photo of a mother and her children truly shows just how hard it really was. This photo doesn’t just focus on the mom and how hard it was for her but it also focuses on the poor children who were also greatly affected. Anyone with a heart would feel for this mother and her children as I do.




Photo by Ammar Awad
Year Created: 2013


Contrast appropriate
                The contrast in this image is high, meaning there are very bright areas as well as very dark areas. The contrast in this image really helps the image to standout and we can really see the focus. It creates the mood of the seeing the individuals take cover in the middle of the war and seeing the smoke all around them just how scary that must have been.

Background compliments or detracts from composition
                The background of this image really helps to complete the photo. Without the background of this image with the smoke and the fire it wouldn’t be possible to be able to see what the individuals were really taking cover from. The background truly adds meaning to this photo and helps it to standout.

Depth of field
                The right amount of area is definitely in focus. The focus is clearly on the individuals taking cover and it’s just the right amount with the background to stand out.

Why I chose this image?
                I chose this image because it was really quite interesting to me and it just really stood out. The way people taking cover are dark like shadows and the way the background is so bright and clear really intrigued me. The way this photo was taken really emphasizes what was going on in the background and what they were taking cover from.

No comments:

Post a Comment