Saturday, January 14, 2017

Concluding Chapter

           At the start of this class I believed photojournalism was the practice of communicating news through photos, but throughout the course I’ve learned that it is much more than just that. I believe yes it does do that, but I also believe it is the practice of informing the world about not only news but whatever the photojournalists is interested in. I thought it was mostly focused on wars and issues around that, but I learned that photojournalism covers a variety of areas. I stick by my reason on why I believe it is important to know the history of photojournalism. I stick by it because I believe it is extremely important for people to understand its history and how much photojournalist have gone through to get stories out there to the world, so people can see what is truly going on around the world. I had many “Ah-ha” moments throughout this course because I feel that I learned so much. Learning about the past techniques of photographing was amazing to understand what photographers had to go through. It was also amazing to learn about so many different photojournalists and how courageous many of them are. I learned that photojournalists are so passionate that they put their lives on the line to give their audience a story.
I still believe photographs change the world. I still believe this because if it were not for the world being able to see images about various subjects there would never be changes in the world. I have seen so many images this semester that helped back up my belief, I truly believe especially images help create a feeling that make people want to change the world. Just to talk about a few examples there was the picture of starving children that really touched me and I believe that have also touched so many people in the world. I believe images like this help to create change in the world because anyone with a heart looking at an image like this will feel so sad and want to help. Looking at an image like that makes people want to do what they can to help these children to get food and we ca understand this through many organizations that donate food to these starving children. A second photo I believe backs up my belief about images changing the world is the image from the 9/11 attack in New York. The image showed just what people were going through covered all in debris, but still helping each other. I am a firm believer that if it were not for images like these New York would never have gotten as much help as they did. These images really helped to back up my belief that images change the world and are good examples of how they do.


Photo by Salman Mohammed

Photo by Tina Moore


            By viewing my classmates’ photojournalist profile, I learned about so many new photojournalists. It was really amazing how many photojournalists I was able to learn about and I am glad I took this course because it really helped me to think not only about photojournalism but really about history itself. From my classmate, Luke Allen, I learned that Andrew Burton uses shallow depth of field in combination with black and white to create a feeling of contrast that by nature isolates the subject in his photos. If you look at the photos he incorporated of Andrew Burton’s, you can really see what he means by this and the images are truly incredible and really put emphasis on his subjects. From Sirjana Lamichhane, who focused on Lynsey Addario, I learned how much of a strong woman photojournalist she is and how she lives by her ethics and beliefs. She explained that Addario was able to give a dead soldiers father details he craved about his son’s death, I think this was amazing of her to personally talk to the soldier’s father and help him get closure through his time of grief. Lastly, through Kelly Reilly, who spoke about Ruth Orkin, I learned how much of an honest woman she is. I loved how she explained that Orkin always did her best to be honest with her images and how she took images of what she thought was beautiful. I think it is great that she does that and I can only hope that all photojournalists have this same passion as her.


Photo by Andrew Burton

Photo by Lynsey Addario


Photo by Ruth Orkin


            For my creative experiential exercise, I decided to base it on wrestling. My father is a wrestling coach and used this exercise to capture images of his wrestlers in action. I took these images on my phone, which is a Samsung Galaxy S6, as you can tell the quality isn’t the best. I used different features on my phones camera to try to create different effects of the images and I also tried to use different angles to take the photos. For filter I used no effect for some but I also used vintage and vignette. The vintage was my favorite because I felt like it really created a nice mood and effect to the photos, but I also liked vignette because it helped to put the focus on the wrestlers. I also used the grid lines feature on my camera so it could help me to either center the subjects or put them off to the side. I really took this exercise and did my best to think like a photojournalist and I really enjoyed it.


Photo by Ashley Alvarado


Photo by Ashley Alvarado


Photo by Ashley Alvarado


Photo by Ashley Alvarado

No comments:

Post a Comment